Cornerstone is recruiting 10 undergraduates to be leaders for Connections 2013.
Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on April 6!
Cornerstone: The Center for Advanced Learning is looking for leaders to staff a pre-orientation program August 18-21, 2013 for incoming freshman interested in the life sciences. This program, Medicine and Research Connections, will introduce students to the clinical and basic science research opportunities at Washington University (WU) and in the greater St. Louis area.
Students will meet and hear from the talented physicians and scientists at the WU School of Medicine, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, and WU Departments. In the mornings, students will attend The Mini-Medical School, which brings the latest in medical research and practice to students. They will also learn how physicians work up patients and review actual Emergency Medicine cases. In the past, students have met the Medical School Dean, Dr. Larry Shapiro, and taken tours such as the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, the Surgical Vivarium and the Genome Sequencing Center.
Your responsibilities as a leader will include:
- Leading the incoming freshmen as we travel around the St. Louis Life Science community
- Helping the students connect to their new university and community
- Introducing our guest speakers (examples from the past include Chancellor Emeritus William Danforth and Peter Raven of the Missouri Botanical Gardens)
- Logistical coordination
- Facilitating team-building in small groups
Participants in this program agree to be available:
- For interviews in mid-April
- In April for 2-3 training and planning meetings (to be determined based on leader’s schedule)
- For training and the pre-orientation, August 18-21 (Must be available all day during the pre-orientation.)
- Wrap-up Leader’s lunch August 22
This is also a chance for you to move back to campus early. If you are an undergraduate student living on-campus, we will pay for your housing. The earliest you may move in is August 16th. Leaders receive free meals during the program, in addition to getting to participate in all the activities for the week. As a leader this is a great chance for you to network with important members of the St. Louis Life Science community. Remember, 80% of jobs come from networking.
For additional information, contact Courtney Boddie 935-5970, email@example.com.